Sunday, May 25, 2014

Berkeley Goes to Washington, Part 4: Inside the White House!

On May 1st, there was a BEAR in the White House!

Oh don't worry. I was on my best behavior and didn't growl at the Secret Service (the people who protect the president). And I was very quiet going through security, so they would see that I would mind my manners while I was there. I was so excited! The White House is where the president of the United States lives and works to serve our country.

Berkeley is about to enter the White House!
This was the very last day of my week in Washington. All of the state teachers of the year were at the White House to meet President Obama. I have seen pictures of the White House in books, but I couldn't believe my little bear eyes once I was really inside! We first walked up the Cross Hall to the State Dining Room (that's where they have the very special dinners with leaders from all over the world)! We were not in the dining room to eat but to line all the teachers up shortest to tallest for the teacher of the year ceremony. It was a bit like getting lined up for a class picture at school.
Here I am - just stepped into the White House
and into the Cross Hall!

The teachers lining up in the State Dining Room. That is a portrait of
Abraham Lincoln, the 16th president.

Right before we left, they were setting up for
one of those fancy dinners!
The special ceremony was to be held in the East Room. This is the largest room in the White House, and they use it for many important events, such as when the president signs a bill into law. Abigail Adams, the First Lady and wife of President John Adams, would hang her laundry up to dry in the East Room in the winter! John Adams, by the way, was the first president to live in the White House (not George Washington). During the Civil War, the East Room quartered (housed) Union soldiers for a time. Whenever a president passes away while still in office, they "lay in state" in this room so people can pay their respects.
Look at all those cameras ready to record the teachers!

Another view of the East Room!
Waiting while the teachers listen to directions.
That is a portrait of President Teddy Roosevelt. I hear the
"Teddy Bear" is named after him!
We then had some time to see some of the other rooms of the White House while we were waiting for the ceremony to begin! It was so amazing to be surrounded by all of that history! I was able to go into the Red Room, the Blue Room (this is the room where they set the Christmas Tree every year!), and the Green Room. I think it is neat that they named the rooms after colors - it makes it very easy for a bear like me to remember! I hope you like all my pictures.
Entering the Red Room! That painting beside the door
is named "Florida Sunrise."

The beautiful fireplace in the Red Room. That is a
portrait of Angelica Van Buren, the daughter-in-law of
President Martin Van Buren

With Mrs. Sponaugle in the Red Room!

I really like the color of this room! It is the color of a cardinal!

From this room, you can see the Washington Monument.

Now I'm having a seat in the Blue Room!

That is a portrait of President James Madison!

What a beautiful chandelier! It's almost as sparkly as the ones in
our State Capitol.

That is a portrait of President William Taft.

In this very spot, the teachers (and bear) met
President Obama!

The Green Room!

I was so excited to be in the Green Room, I sat on a table.
You really shouldn't do that when you are a guest in the White House.

By the fireplace in the Green Room!

So many historic paintings!

This is a portrait of Benjamin Franklin. He was never
a president, but he was one of the founding fathers
of our country.

Soon, it was time for all the teachers (and the bear) to meet the president. Now I will have to wait a few months to get my copy of my picture with President Obama, but yes I did meet him, and he was very nice to me. He didn't seem upset at all there was a little bear from West Virginia roaming in his house! It all happened so fast I didn't get a chance to say much to him, but I did thank him for having me and the teachers to his home. When it was time for the ceremony to start, I quietly sat in the audience. It was time for Mrs. Sponaugle and all of her new teacher friends to have their moment.
Mrs. Sponaugle standing beside the president during the ceremony!
I was so excited...

...and the students watching back at Tomahawk were excited, too!

It was so amazing to be in the White House that day, to meet the president of the United States and be there with all of those teachers representing the millions of classrooms in America. They all looked so happy, and some had tears in their eyes. I guess they were thinking about all of their students and teachers back home - and how special it was to be there that day.
As we left through the lobby, I saw portraits of President Jimmy Carter
and President Lyndon B. Johnson.

They were playing music as we left. Above the piano is a portrait
of President Bill Clinton.
I am so glad I was able to tell you about the things I did in Washington, D.C. I was very tired from all the excitement when it was over, but it was one of the most special experiences as a little bear. The best thing now is that I get to share where I've been with all of the students in West Virginia.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment