Sunday, May 18, 2014

Berkeley Goes to Washington, Part 2: The Air and Space Museum!

My next day in Washington, D.C. was so exciting, that I have to split it into two posts!

Monday I went to the Smithsonian Museum. They are named after James Smithson, a scientist from England. He never visiting the United States, but he left all of his money to start museums in the United States so we could learn new things. I went with Mrs. Sponaugle to learn more about one of these museums, and the one we chose was the Air and Space Museum. It was very interesting, and I took many pictures (but I did not get many of myself, because I was so busy learning).
I learned about the Wright Brothers, who flew the first successful
airplane in the world! Their bicycle shop was in Ohio, but their plane flew
in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.

This, my friends, is the very first airplane that flew! It looks very different
that the airplane I rode in to Arizona.

A bicycle from the Orville and Wilbur Wright's bicycle shop!

Where's Berkeley?

Another view of the Wright Brother's plane that flew in December 1903!


I like this missile best because it says Tomahawk :-) 

A model of the lunar module that landed on the moon!

This is a "Sun Gun," a telescope used for looking
at the sun safely.

That is a model of a space shuttle!

Space shuttle engine

Now don't laugh, boys and girls, but this is a space toilet.
You would find one of these in the bathroom of a space shuttle.

I am a very lucky bear to live close to all these museums, where we can learn about so many interesting things. I'm very excited to come back to D.C. with Mrs. Sponaugle in a few weeks when her fifth grade visits the National Zoo!

Soon I will tell you all about my visit...to the Vice President's home!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment