Monday, May 5, 2014

Adventure to Huntington, Part 1: Visiting Marshall University and Geneva Kent Elementary!

The week before my big adventure in D.C., Mrs. Sponaugle and I went across the state to Huntington to visit Marshall University! It was a very long journey for us, but we are always so happy to meet with students across West Virginia, because we represent them all! Huntington is in Cabell County, which is very close to Ohio and Kentucky. We could have been in either of those states in a matter of minutes!
Cabell County!

Marshall University is a very large school where students go to learn new things, once they have graduated from high school. I was a little scared of Marco, their mascot (I didn't want the Thundering Herd to trample right over me!), but everything else was just beautiful! In 1970, there was a terrible plan crash, and most of Marshall's football team and coaches passed away. That made me very, very sad to hear, but there are many special ways they remember those people on campus that make you feel better - but always remember.
Here I am in front of Old Main! Can you find me in this picture?

Paying my respects at the fountain in memory of the 1970 football team.

We were in Huntington for two days! On the second day, I went to visit some very special Kindergartners at Geneva Kent Elementary! They were very good listeners, and I loved all of the murals in their hallways dedicated to children's books (remember, Berkeley loves to read)! I was so excited to make new friends that I almost forgot to hand out my bookmarks - but Mrs. Sponaugle reminded me just before we walked out the door, hand-in-paw. Bears can sometime be forgetful.
Geneva Kent Elementary!

Some of the murals inside the school!

Did you know that Mrs. Sponaugle was Little Red Riding Hood in her Kindergarten class play?

I am so proud of all the students in Cabell County and at Marshall University for their hard work. They make me glad that I'm a West Virginia bear! But wait! There was something very special that I was able to see before I left Huntington that I am so excited to share with you. What could it be?!?! I promise I will tell you soon!
Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Sponaugle!

We are telling the students all about our wonderful state!

All of those special students I had the chance to meet!

Unit next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment