Thursday, May 22, 2014

Berkeley Goes to Washington, Part 3: Meeting the Second Lady of the United States!

Thank you, boys and girls, for waiting so patiently for me to continue my exciting Monday in Washington!

After my busy day at the Air and Space Museum, I got on the bus with all of the other state teachers of the year for a special visit at the Vice President's home! The name of his home is the Naval Observatory - and the name of the Vice President of the United States is Joe Biden. His wife, Jill Biden, is the Second Lady of the United States. She is also a teacher at Northern Virginia Community College. I thought it was very special that she invited us to her house, so I decided to be on my very best bear behavior.
We are here! I took this right before I went through
security. The security guy scratched my furry head and said,
"I guess we allow bears in here!"

The Naval Observatory. I was so excited, I forgot to take a selfie!

They were playing beautiful music!

Having a seat on the front porch!

Another view!
The swimming pool - and no, I did not jump in! Bears have
better manners than that :-)

While we were waiting, the Oklahoma Teacher of the Year, Mr. Markes, asked very politely if he could play with their quartet (he is a music teacher, you know). Not only did they let him play, they played the Oklahoma state song together!

This is the living room!

The glass pane going down the stairs!

Here I am with Dr. Biden's children's book! I was so happy to see this,
because I am going to write a children's book too!

Waiting quietly to meet Jill Biden!

I was so excited and happy for all the teachers there who were able to meet Dr. Biden! When she came downstairs to meet all of the years, I think they were a little starstruck. I was, too. She was so friendly and told all the teachers how proud she was of the work they do in their classrooms. Dr. Biden knows how hard they work for their students because she is a teacher, too.
Dr. Biden speaking to the teachers!

Now boys and girls, hold on to your seats, because this is the most exciting part. Every teacher got to meet and have a picture with Jill Biden - and every bear, too! I waited very quietly for all the teachers to have their turn, then asked Mrs. Sponaugle if she would introduce me to our country's First Teacher - and she did!
There we all are, smiling for the camera!

Even though it was a rainy afternoon, I felt so bright and cheery inside because all those teachers were there, in the Vice President's house, being recognized for teaching our country's children. I bet they will never forget how special it made them feel - and how important it is to share that feeling with others.
Can you find Mrs. Sponaugle?

This was very exciting for a little black bear, but I have saved the best for last! A few days later, I went to the only place that could top the Naval Observatory...the White House! I promise I will write about it very, very soon!

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment