Saturday, May 17, 2014

Berkeley Goes to Washington, Part 1: Memorials and Monuments!

I have been a very sick bear.

Yes, I know you boys and girls have been waiting patiently for me to tell you all about my travels - but this past week I just had such a rotten cold that I couldn't stay up to write in the evenings, after helping Mrs. Sponaugle teach all day. My nose was stuffy, my chest was tight - and I felt a bit chilly, even though I'm covered in fur! Now I am starting to feel more like myself, and I'm ready to tell you all about my adventures in Washington, D.C.

Ready to go - just need to buckle up!

 Our nation's capital is Washington, D.C. (D.C. stands for District of Columbia). It was named after our very first president, George Washington. Even though I'm a West Virginia bear, I only live 90 minutes from D.C.! A long time ago, the states of Virginia and Maryland donated land for the most special city in the U.S.A. Washington, D.C. is not a state or a part of a state. It's a little complicated to explain, but I like to think of it as a city that stands on its own, just like a state. I knew that this was where all of the people we elect to make our laws for the U.S.A. go to work, and that it is the home of our president! I was very excited to get on the road.
The Flag of Washington, D.C.
On our first evening in our nation's capital, we went on a tour (kind of like a field trip) of the monuments and memorials. There are many monuments and memorials in Washington, D.C. in honor of important people and events. First, we had to get something to eat! On our way to find honey - I mean, food - we came across this building: The United States Capitol!

The Capitol building is where the senators (two from each state, for a total of 100) and the representatives (435 total...it depends on your state's population how many you have) meet to make the laws for our country! That is called the legislative branch of our government! The dome of the Capitol is made of 8.9 million pounds of cast iron! On top of the dome is the Statue of Freedom.

Where's Berkeley?
On to the monuments and memorials! First we saw the Washington Monument. It reminds me of a pencil, with its pointy top (its called an obelisk). It honors our first president, George Washington. He has many things named for him...I guess that's why he's called the Father of our Country! The monument is 555 1/4 feet high! There are 50 flags, one for each state, all around the monument. It is the tallest structure in D.C. and the tallest obelisk in the world!
The Washington Monument
Next we visited the World War II memorial. This honors the 16 million service men and women who fought for our country during this war. Every state, territory, and Washington, D.C. has a special column with its name surrounding a beautiful pool. This memorial is ten years old - the same age as a 5th grader.
World War II Memorial

Here I am with the West Virginia column.

Some states and territories I have not visited yet.

We then went to the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial. This honors an important man who fought for equal (civil) rights for all United States citizen. He did not want people judged or treated differently based on their skin color. He gave a speech, "I Have a Dream," on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in 1963. Now he has a memorial of his own.
The Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial

The MLK Memorial look out to the Jefferson Memorial. It honors
our 3rd president, Thomas Jefferson.
The last place we visited was the Lincoln Memorial. It honors Abraham Lincoln, our 16th president. He was our president during the Civil War, a time when our country was split in two and fighting one another. There are 36 columns, one for each of the states that fought during the Civil War. Inside is a 19 foot sculpture of Abraham Lincoln! On the walls are the words from two of his speeches, The Gettysburg Address and his Second Inaugural Address.
From the Lincoln Memorial, you can see the Reflecting Pool
and the Washington Monument.

The Lincoln Memorial

Inside with the statue of Abraham Lincoln.
Mrs. Sponaugle says this is her favorite president.

I felt like a very smart little bear after all I learned that evening. Although I was very excited and wanted to stay up to learn more about the things I had seen, I had to get some sleep. I had a big day tomorrow - going to a museum and meeting the Vice President's wife!

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment