Sunday, February 23, 2014

My Day at Slanesville Elementary

Just this Friday, I was at Slanesville Elementary with my friends again to share what I know about West Virginia!



Slanesville Elementary is located in Hampshire County, in the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia! It is only about an hour away from where I live. A very well-known teacher, Mrs. Rae McKee, used to teach reading at this school. She became the West Virginia Teacher of the Year and the National Teacher of the Year! In fact, President George H.W. Bush came to their school to meet Mrs. McKee when she won!
Hampshire County!

A special newspaper story on Mrs. McKee

At my last school visit, I only met with second graders. This time, the Sugar Maple Friends and I spoke to all of the students in the school! It was a very busy day, and I was ready to hibernate when I finished speaking to my last class, but the students were very polite and seemed to have a great day!
Talking to some third grade students!

There's Morgan the Monarch Butterfly and his friend, Monroe!

Mrs. Sponaugle is explaining that Clay the Cardinal is the state bird.

I did something kind of rotten, though. You see, Mrs. Sponaugle shows the students different places in West Virginia on her computer. Clay the Cardinal and I thought it would be funny if we put ourselves in all of the pictures! You know, so it looked like we really climbed to the top of Spruce Knob! Well, the students thought it was very funny, but I don't think Mrs. Sponaugle was expecting it. She kind of gave me "that look" when she noticed I was in every single picture. Oops.
Can you find where you live?

Thank you, Slanesville Elementary, for having the Sugar Maple Friends at your school. It was so nice to meet all of you, and I hope you check my website often to learn about the other places I visit in West Virginia and the USA.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment