Tuesday, March 4, 2014

My February College Visits!

Brrr! It's a cold day, boys and girls! I don't know about you, but I am ready to spring, flowers, bees, and of course, some fresh honey!

I will make this a short post, but I also wanted to tell you about some other schools I have visited in West Virginia this past month: colleges.

What is a college, you may ask? Well, a college (or a university) is a school you go to after you graduate from high school. You go to school there to take classes that will help you do the job you want to have as an adult. When you graduate from college, you go out into the world and (after some interviews, where people learn about what kind of worker you will be) and can be a teacher, accountant, doctor, writer, scientist...and many other things! Some jobs take more schooling than others, but all take very special people to do them well. It's important that, even as an elementary school student, you make good choices now and do your best in school so you are prepared for college and your future career.

I was able to travel with Mrs. Sponaugle to two colleges in February! She went to these schools to speak to students who are going to be teachers in just a few years - some will even be in the classroom next year! The first one was Shepherd University. It is located in Shepherdstown in Jefferson County. Shepherd University's mascot (that means their symbol) is the Rams.
Jefferson County!

The school colors at Shepherd are Blue and Gold!

This building at Shepherd University is called Knutti Hall. It's where all the students go to learn how to be teachers!


The other college was West Virginia Wesleyan College in Buckhannon. That is in Upshur County. Their mascot is the Bobcats! I have never seen a ram roaming around the West Virginia hills, but I have seen a bobcat or two! Trust me: you don't want to get too close!
Upshur County!

The school colors of WV Wesleyan are Orange and Black!

This is called the administration building at WV Wesleyan. There are lots of offices inside, but students still have classes in here!

I'm sorry I don't have very many exciting pictures from my college visits. I was very busy being a good helper and carrying some of Mrs. Sponaugle's heavy bags for her, so she would slip and fall in the snow. I will be going back to Shepherd many times this year, so I will take more pictures so you can see what a college looks like. I will hopefully visit more colleges across the state - so make sure to keep checking my special blog!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment