Sunday, February 23, 2014

My Digital Learning Day Adventure!

Oh, my, boys and girls! I am typing this as fast as my little paws can go! It has been a busy travel month for me, and I have seen so many special places and people. I know you have been patiently waiting for me to update you on my travel tales, so first I will tell you about Digital Learning Day!
We worked very hard on our presentation!

Digital Learning Day is a very special event. Schools everywhere celebrate how they use cool things, like computers, the internet, and iPads, to help their students learn. Since I am a special little bear, I went with Mrs. Sponaugle to Charleston (my second trip to the capital city!) to teach some second graders all about West Virginia!
I was so excited to run inside and meet the students!

Well, it wasn't just me that went to Charleston this time. All of my Sugar Maple Friends came with me so that the students could learn about West Virginia's other state symbols. I was very glad to have my friends with me this time, because sometimes I get lonely when it's just Mrs. Sponaugle and me. Oh, I love spending time with Mrs. Sponaugle, it's just that I miss my little friends when I'm away.

We arrived at Mary C. Snow Westside Elementary in Kanawha County on the morning of Digital Learning Day. Now since we are celebrating how to use technology (that fancy word for using things like computers, internet, and iPads) we we not only going to teach the students in this school about West Virginia. Three others second grade classrooms in West Virginia did a video conference with us, so they could learn about West Virginia, too! Those other classrooms were at Hollywood Elementary in Raleigh County, Burch Elementary in Mingo County, and Norwood Elementary in Harrison County.  Of course, Harrison Honeybee was just buzzing about getting to speak to kids in the county with his name!
Mingo County!

Raleigh County!

Kanawha County!

Harrison County!

I had so much fun teaching all of those second graders about our state! They were very excited to meet me too, I believe. The rest of the Sugar Maple Friends had a great time, too, especially teaching those kids the motions to some of our favorite landforms in West Virginia.
This is how we were able to have class with the students around the state!

Hello, everyone! Did you know there are 55 counties?

Making some mountains!

What's that you said, Hollywood Elementary?

A fun group shot with all the Sugar Maple Friends!

You can watch a little bit of our special time on Digital Learning Day by clicking on this link.

At the very end of our lesson, I gave those students at Mary C. Snow something special - a book about West Virginia! Since I am a very artistic little bear, I drew them some pictures on the inside cover of all us state symbols. I colored very neatly and made sure to only draw on the blank page inside the front cover.
The artist bear at work!

What an exciting day! This little bear is ready to meet more students in our state! In my next post, I will tell you about my day at Slanesville Elementary in Hampshire County!

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment