Friday, June 13, 2014

My Raleigh County Adventure, Part 1: School Visits!

I must say, we bears just love Summer! In fact, all of the Sugar Maple friends are happy that it is so warm and green outside. Now, some of these thunderstorms have been a little scary, but Clay, Harrison, Boone, and the rest of the gang are glad to be outside in the sunshine and splash in the puddles...as long as we wipe our feet (or paws) before we go back inside Mrs. Sponaugle's house.

It's time to take a few minutes to tell you about my adventure in Raleigh County! I did so much in the two days I was there, I will have to split my adventures over three posts! Raleigh County is in the southern part of West Virginia. I had met some students from this county (Hollywood Elementary, to be exact) back in February on Digital Learning Day, when we did a video conference with some schools across the state.This time, we were going to get to meet face to face! I was so excited!
Raleigh County!

The first school I visited was Maxwell Hill Elementary in Beckley. I spoke to the second graders in Ms. Chapman and Ms. Quesenbery's classes about West Virginia - and something very exciting happened! A reporter from WOAY came to to interview Mrs. Sponaugle (and myself) about our travels in West Virginia this year. Well, those second graders were so excited that they might be on television that evening! I was also so pleased at the manners of these students. When I gave them my special bookmarks all about West Virginia, each one of them said thank you. They were all so well behaved and happy to have visitors.
Maxwell Hill Elementary

The Sugar Maple Friends with those wonderful second graders!

The next school we went to was Bradley Elementary in Mt. Hope. We visited Mrs. Meadows Kindergarten classroom - and I learned something, too, from my visit. They were doing a special unit on dinosaurs! Dinosaurs are animals that lives long ago on Earth (they are now extinct). They look very different from any animals I have ever seen in West Virginia! I am so glad Mrs. Sponaugle and Mrs. Meadows were able to meet each others again, and it was so nice to meet all those energetic Kindergartners that are headed for first grade in the fall!
Bradley Elementary

Which Sugar Maple Friends do you see in this picture!
Don't you just love that colorful mural?

Here I am with a graphic organizer all about
dinosaurs. They are very interesting creatures.

Mrs. Sponaugle had to go to a very important dinner that evening, where they named the next Raleigh County Teacher of the Year. That gave me a chance to rest up for the next day, because Mrs. Sponaugle promised me that, before we left for home tomorrow morning, we would take a field trip of our own, to learn about something the students in the Eastern Panhandle need to know. It was so exciting and so informative...I will have to tell you about it in my next blog post!

Until next time...  

No comments:

Post a Comment